Now more than ever, families and friends are torn apart by differing beliefs, be them political, religious, or ideological.
For some people, their beliefs did more than ruin familial relationships. Some paid with their jobs, their freedom, or even their lives. Keep reading to check out a is list of five (or more) people who were punished to the max for their beliefs.
1. NELSON MANDELA
2. AUNG SAN SUU KYI
3. DALTON TRUMBO
By 1947, the U.S. government had formed the House Committee on Un-American Activities, which quizzed members of the film industry about their ties to the communist party. Some refused to answer, including Trumbo. They became the Hollywood 10. After serving time in prison for contempt, Trumbo and the others were blacklisted. He wrote under pseudonyms and the names of fellow writer friends. He wasn't recognized for his work until a few years before he died.
Best way to learn more: See Trumbo at the Cape Fear Regional Theatre from now until March 17. Purchase your tickets online at CFRT.org!
4. MOST PEOPLE INVOLVED IN THE AMERICAN CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT
- Rosa Parks (Pictured): Refused to give up her seat to a white woman on a bus. Was threatned with violence.
- Rev. George Lee: One of the first African American to register to vote in Humphreys County. He used his platform at church to encourage his congregation to register to vote. White officials of the time offered him protection if he stopped his campaigning, but he declined the offer and was killed.
- Viola Gregg Liuzzo: A white woman who was transporting marchers from different parts of Alabama to join the now-famous Selma marches. She was shot and killed by a Klansman in a passing car.
5. JESUS AND HIS APOSTLES
- Peter: crucified upside down at his request because he felt unworthy to die in the same manner as Christ.
- Paul: Beheaded.
- Andrew: Crucified.
- Stephen: Stoned to death.
- Thomas: Speared by four soldiers.
- Matthias: Burned alive.
-Matthew: Stabbed to death in Ethiopia.
- James: Clubbed to death.
Best way to learn more: Passion of the Christ movie.
Winter is an amazing season filled with amazing things. I wanted to compile a list of my top 10 favorite things about winter that make it my second favorite season, following fall! I hope you enjoy this Gif story.
1. CHRISTMAS MUSIC
I'm gonna Jingle Bell Rock Around The Christmas Time Is Here Comes Santa Baby It's Cold Outside all month!
2. WE CELEBRATE JESUS' BIRTHDAY!
I absolutely adore everything about Christmas, especially carols and re-tellings of Jesus' birthday. Even though most scholars agree that Jesus was probably born in the Spring, I still love celebrating his birth around this time each year!
3. THE FOOD OF THE SEASON
4. CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!
Listen. I'm in love with all of the Christmas light events happening this year. I want to go to all of them!
5. COOL WEATHER
Anything but snow, because it literally turns to ice in 2 hours where I live, and I'm not trying to fall!
6. GIVING GIFTS I KNOW THEY'LL LOVE
I've always LOVED giving gifts because it gives me the chance to show the people I love that I'm listening and really want to provide them with something they can use and will love for years to come!
7. HOT COCOA
Need I say more?
8. CHRISTMAS MOVIES
Don't worry, you can expect a TON of Christmas movie reviews and suggestions right here on TheOpinionatedOne.com OR on Twitter!
9. TONS OF GET-TOGETHERS
This time of year features tons of get-togethers for me at least. The hubby has a Christmas thing, I have two Christmas things, then we are going home to have even more Christmas things. So EXCITED!
The cold weather is the perfect time to snuggle with your favorite person, or animal.
I hope you enjoyed this Gif story. What do you love about winter/Christmas? Let me know in the comments below!
In honor of Black Friday, which is today in the states, I thought I would go ahead and share my Christmas wish list in case anyone out there may be wondering what they want for Christmas!
I've added the link to the products I want so you can check them out for yourself! Check out my list here:
2ND GENERATION ECHO DOT
I am interested in the Echo Dot (2nd Generation) bundled with the Sengled 2 Bulb Kit. The bulbs are "smart lightbulbs" that can be controlled by Alexa, the virtual assistant used by Amazon. I am thinking of just getting this for Jonathan and I as a household gift!
FOLDING TV TRAY TABLE
A LABEL MAKER
HIGH-QUALITY DSLR CAMERA
I had a former boss who said that her family often bought her a new camera lens or some sort of camera equipment each year for Christmas, so I could build up my collection throughout the years!
AN EARRING HOLDER
You can send me a donation via PayPal by using my email address, email@example.com, or on CashApp with the username $GabbieJona. If you send a message with your donation, I'll be sure to shout you out on my blog and on all of my social media platforms!
Thanks for checking out my Christmas wish list! I hope some of these were inspiring to you so you can tell your family what you'd like for Christmas!
LEGAL: All photos are from Pixabay.com, a Creative Commons website that requires no attribution for photo use.
I'm always down to save money when I have the chance. That's why I've started to do some things that help to save without majorly interrupting my life. I wanted to share these with my readers in hopes that they help you!
DON'T THROW OUT THAT COFFEE
However, if you just pour unused coffee down the sink, you're just wasting money! Instead, I've started to pour my excess coffee into a pitcher and refrigerate it. When I get home, I have cold coffee waiting. I can simply add in my cream, sugar, and some ice for iced coffee that will help me get through my writing assignments and blog posts!
SIGN UP FOR SAVINGS PROGRAMS WITH YOUR BANK
PICK UP YOUR GROCERIES
This service was first introduced to me by my mom. It is great for moms with children who may not be easy to handle in the store, for people with busy lives, and for disabled people. All you do is order online, reserve a pickup time, and arrive. The employees will load your cart up for you. Sometimes, they may not have exactly what you asked for, but they always give you fair substitutions.
This service is free and is a great way to stick to your list without making impulse buys!
FOLLOW MY WATER RULE
I also don't drink my morning coffee until I've had at least one 26 fl oz glass of water. This helps me to save money because I'm not drinking a ton of coffee or soda. It also helps keep my hydrated and focused throughout the day!
DONATE TO A THRIFT STORE
HAVE A FREE DATE NIGHT
There are so many other things you can do to save money and to live your best life, but these are ones that I've tried and will probably continue to do unless I become a millionaire! Do you have any money-saving tips? Let me know below!
If you aren't a blogger and you're curious to know what life is like as "one of us," I hope you find this entertaining. If you are a blogger, I'm sure you can relate to at least one of these things! If you like this, I hope you'll give it a share so we can all have a good laugh!
1. TRYING TO FIND A SQUARE-INCH OF CLEAN SPACE ON A COUNTER TOP OR DESK IN YOUR HOUSE TO TAKE A PHOTO FOR YOUR LATEST BLOG POST
2. THAT FEELING WHEN YOU'VE FINISHED WITH BLOGTOBER OR BLOGMAS
3. THAT MOMENT WHEN YOU RUSH TO YOUR COMPUTER WHEN YOU GET IN FROM WORK OR A DAY OUT SO YOU CAN WRITE ON THAT BLOG POST TOPIC THAT INSPIRED YOU
4. WHEN YOU FINALLY GET TAGGED FOR A BLOGGER PEER AWARD
5. WHEN YOU DECIDE TO WRITE ABOUT A NEW SUBJECT THAT YOU'RE TOTALLY UNEDUCATED ON
6. WHEN YOU TRY OUT A RECIPE FROM PINTEREST FOR YOUR BLOG BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THE PICTURE
7. WHEN YOU NEED TO GO TO THE CRAFT STORE FOR THINGS FOR YOUR BLOG, BUT YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER SAYS NO
8. WHEN SOMEONE YOU KNOW IRL SAYS: EW, YOU HAVE A BLOG?
9. AND WHEN YOU GO ON TWITTER TO RANT ABOUT SAID RUDE PERSON AND YOUR FOLLOWERS NEED TO KNOW EVERY DETAIL
10. WHEN SOMEONE LEAVES A WELL-THOUGHT-OUT COMMENT ON YOUR BLOG POST
11. LAUGHING AT YOUR OWN BLOG POST TITLES BECAUSE THEY'RE SO PUNNY
12. WHEN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO FOR YOUR NEXT BLOG POST, BUT THAT FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER WHO READS RELIGIOUSLY SENDS YOU IDEAS
13. WHEN YOUR PETS, KIDS, OR SIGNIFICANT OTHER TRYS TO INTERRUPT YOUR BLOGGING TIME
14. YOUR WALLET AFTER PAYING FOR SUPPLIES FOR YOUR BLOG POSTS
15. CONSTANTLY CHECKING YOUR GOOGLE ADS ACCOUNT TO SEE IF YOU'VE EARNED ANY MORE MONEY FROM AD CLICKS
16. GETTING WORRIED THAT YOUR CONTENT ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH WHEN YOU SEE YOU HAVEN'T EARNED ANY MONEY
17. GETTING REASSURANCE FROM FELLOW BLOGGERS THAT YOU DON'T SUCK AND YOUR READERSHIP WILL CONTINUE TO GROW IF YOU STAY CONSISTENT
18. AND FINALLY...HOW YOU FEEL KNOWING THAT YOU'VE WRITTEN AND SCHEDULED YOUR BLOGS FOR THE WEEK!
I hope you enjoyed this fun post, and I hope it was relatable enough to my fellow bloggers! Did I miss anything? Tell me what else we struggle with in the comments below!
I've been keeping a keen eye on my Twitter feed, and I saw a blogger, Amanda Burnett, who was asking if anyone was interested in doing an Autumn questions tag on their blog! It has been a while since I've been tagged. Since everything was so micro-planned for Blogtober, I decided to wait until this month to share my answers. I hope you'll enjoy my answers and you will participate if I've tagged you!
So, thank you to Amanda for tagging me. Visit her blog here: www.itsamandaburnett.wordpress.com.
Keep reading for the rules, the questions, and my answers!
AUTUMN QUESTIONS TAG RULES
1) List these rules in your post, so that everyone is clear on what to do!
2) Include the creator’s link (www.laurenannbeauty.com) and also whoever nominated you! If you're reading this now and are going to participate in the tag, you would mention me, Gabrielle Allison from www.TheOpinionatedOne.com.
3) Answer the questions and tag at least 3 other people (include their links to help with their DA?)
1) What’s your favorite thing about Autumn?
2) Did you take part in Blogtober?
3) Favorite Autumnal Drink?
4) Favorite Autumn Candle?
5) Favorite item of clothing for Autumn?
6) Do you decorate your house/room for Halloween/Autumn?
7) What did you do on Halloween?
1) My favorite thing about Autumn is that it is a lot cooler than the summer. I live in North Carolina, which is in the Southern U.S. It gets hot in the summer, but worse, it gets humid. That means that a day that's only about 80 degrees Fahrenheit can feel like it is hotter than 100 degrees! The cool weather is my jam!
2) I did take part in blogtober! I think I have found a healthy balance for my time. I had time to write and plan, which is important. I am happy that it wasn't too overwhelming!
3) My favorite Autumn drink would be Starbucks' Caramel Macchiato with Almond Milk and Cinnamon. I like it iced! If I am making my own drink, I would choose regular coffee with hazelnut creamer and a spoon full of sugar.
4) My current favorite Autumn candle is Hazelnuet Cream. It is a knock-off brand candle that I got at my local Walmart! I also really like cinnamon and apple scents for this time of year!
5) My favorite fall clothing item are sweaters. They are cozy!
6) I decorated my home for Halloween, and I think the hubby and I will probably be putting up Christmas decorations pretty soon. We do this because we are about three hours away from our family, so we always travel to see them on Thanksgiving and Christmas, so we like to have some time to enjoy our decorations!
7) For Halloween, we went out to eat and got some amazing ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery. If you have one near by and haven't tried it yet, I recommend the Birthday Cake Remix! We were going to hand out candy, but we just don't get a lot of trick-or-treaters where we live, so we decided against it this year.
WHO I'M TAGGING
1. Brianna - Briana Marie Lifestyle
2. Tori - Inspired by Tor
3. Lauren - My Favorite Job Title Is Mom
4. ANYONE READING THIS!
Take part in this tag (which I've modified to work after Halloween) and let us know all about your Autumn and your plans this fall!
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, and I would normally celebrate a bit differently than I am this year. So, this year, I have a bit of a different plan. Check out below for my Halloween plans and check out some of my dream Halloween plans after that.
Without further ado, keep reading for more about my plans:
BUT FIRST, COFFEE
The bags were left over from my Mother-in-Law's 50th birthday party several months ago. I made the tags with scrapbook paper. I also wrote some cute little punny saying on the inside of them. I hope all of my coworkers really liked them!
THROUGHOUT THE DAY
TAKE A WALK IN THE FALL AIR
LISTEN TO MY FAVORITE TRUE CRIME YOUTUBE CHANNELS
I will also be catching up on scary stories and paranormal investigations from LoeyLane and Hailey Reese. I've linked their channel's URLs to their names, so click and check out some of their videos. Also, please subscribe to support them if you like their content. They are all fabulous and do such a good job with their research!
I usually like to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters, but last year I only got two and bought a ton of candy that ended up going to waste. So this year, unfortunately, we've decided not to hand out candy. I'm hoping that we one day live in a place that has a ton of trick-or-treaters so we can do something nice for the local children! I'm talking Grav3yardgirl big!
MAKE DINNER AND SNACKS
MINI MOVIE MARATHON
Those are the extent of our plans this Halloween. I promised I would talk a little bit about my dream Halloween plans. I would really like to one day throw a murder mystery Halloween party. However, if I do this, I want it to be big and really nice. I'm talking catered, in a nice place we rent out, etc.
I just love the idea of a murder mystery dinner party. It is fun and everyone gets fed!
What are you doing this Halloween, or what have you done? Let me know in the comments below.
Ahhhh fall. There's nothing like lighting a candle, cuddling up on the couch, and enjoying a hot cup of coffee (or cocoa) after work! One of my favorite things about candles are their associations with the seasons. There are so many amazing candle scents that you need to put into your life this fall.
Here they are:
There are so many great fall scents for candles, I think that these are my favorites. I also really like scents like marshmallow, but I don't know if the smell is strong enough to really permeate your home or apartment enough to give you the sense of all when you smell them.
Do you have any suggestions for candles I should try this fall? If so, please leave them below!
LEGAL: All photos are my own or taken from Pixabay, a creative commons website that requires no attribution for photo use.